To launch the website, there are two lots of content that need to be prepared.
The Functional Copy – Sinking the Hook into Your Prospect
The Public Home Page
The first paragraph on the
Start with a gripping headline that grabs your reader’s attention. Move on to a sentence that describes what your website is about, followed by some reasons why your members subscribe.
Finally, finish with what action they should take next. This will probably be to ‘Click here’ to take them to a more detailed description of the benefits of joining.
There are two schools of thought about the Home Page.
The Member Home Page
The copy on this page can be very short if your website has the ability to list all the recent articles straight under the introduction paragraph.
- Our Services – The ‘Our Services’ (or similar page) should be your silent salesman. You should list all the features and benefits of your site and pepper the text with links saying ‘Click Here to Join Now’. This must be a compelling story that should be regularly checked and re-written.
- About us – A description of the site owner, the history of the site, contributors, etc.
- Contact us – Your email address, postal address, fax number and telephone number. Providing this information is a legal requirement if your website takes money from customers.
- Our Guarantee – I always strongly recommend that you offer a 100%, no questions asked
refundif a member is not happy with the service. I also suggest to our clients that they should allow their clients to cancel with no notice period. Both these promises will get more people to sign up and very few will cancel and ask for their money back.
- The Order Form – Put some thought into the order form. It is more important than you think. Make sure the copy clearly explains what a member should do and reassures them that their credit card is safe. More on both these points later.
- Thank You Page – After the member has signed up, a page should appear that thanks them for joining and tells them what will happen next.
- Joining Email – When
a member signsup, your system should automatically send out an email with their password and a welcome message.
- Non-subscriber Page – When a non-member tries to click on a members-only page, there should be a message that tries to convince them to join the site.