The Foolproof Way to Make Your Website One of the Best in The World
Last week I listened to a presentation by a leading blogger.
He claimed that 80% of revenues in any niche subject go to the top five websites. The remaining 20% is shared between the hundreds of other sites in the niche.
This theory supports my observations.
A top 5 niche website always makes more money because:
- it will attract more traffic
advertiserspay more to be linked to leading sites
- other website owners want to be associated with it so they link to it
- readers trust it and so are happy to spend more money
theowners get paid to speak at events, write guest articles and feature in books
- new opportunities continually come along to perceived leaders
Success breeds success.
For your website to be really successful it needs to be in the top five sites for its niche.
There is a balance here. If you choose a subject with a lot of competition, you could struggle to get into the top 5.
I suggest a
STEP #2 - Then take a look at the top 100 websites in the world and learn their secrets of success.
STEP #1 – Identifying The Top 5 Competitors
If you have been working in your niche for
- Write down the ten most important keyword phrases for your niche
- Do a search on Google for each of these phrases
- Write down all the websites that appear on the first page of results for each phrase
- Go to Popuri.us (www.popuri.us) and put in each of the domain names of the sites you have identified.
- Create a list of the most popular
- Select the top 5
Armed with this list, the next stage is to undertake a detailed analysis of each of these sites.
Becoming the Best
This is the way to
- What does the website cover?
- What are the boundaries of the coverage?
- What don’t they include?
- Who is the site aimed at?
- What types of content do they have on their site? (articles, videos, audio clips, downloads)
- How often do they add new stuff to the site?
- How long are their articles?
- If the site has a section called ‘Most Popular Articles’ (or similar), what are the topics that are most successful?
- Is the content created by one individual or a team?
- What is the ‘tone’ or ‘voice’ of the content? This means is it friendly or formal; opinionated or factual; fun or serious; controversial or consensual)
- If they allow reader comments, are there lots of them? What
questions arebeing asked? What articles get the most comments?
- Does the site have a forum? Is it active? What are the most
- Do they have an email newsletter? Sign-up to see what it is like
- What other functionality do they have to encourage their readers to interact with the site?
- How does the website make money?
- If advertising, who are the advertisers?
- If subscription how much do they charge?
ecommerce, what products do they sell?
- How many inbound links does the site have?
- Which pages of content have the most links?
- What are your first impressions of their site? Positive or negative
- Well designed or amateur?
- Are the pages well laid out?
- Is the navigation easy to use?
- Do the
STEP #2 – Learning from the Best in The World
I would recommend that you look at the top 100 blogs in the world.
You can find them at Technorati Top
Whilst your website might not be a blog, if it is driven by content then the top bloggers are a great source of inspiration and ideas.
I would not recommend doing a very detailed analysis of these sites as it would take too much time, but scan as many sites as you can, to look
- Design, including layout, navigation, white
- The tone and voice of the content
- How they use images
- The content mix
- The functionality of the sites
- The way they make money
Plan and Act
You should know how to design it, what content to create, what tone you want, how you will build community and all the possible ways to make money.
You MUST build all these points into a plan, which is broken down into
If you do, you will be improving on every aspect of the best sites in your niche with lessons from the best sites in the world. How can you fail to be successful and make it into the Top 5?!
Good luck and enjoy!